Sunday, May 6, 2007

WooHoo, another new family member!

Here we have the latest addition to my handcrafts family...
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
and another few shots...
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
A TREADLE, yes, a treadle, i can sew by the power of my own feet now :-)
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
The wood work is in fab condition...not mint, but that's okay.
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
Yet another gorgeous Singer, i've the serial number, so will check on the "birth date" momentarily.
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
One of the selling points for me, the decals are of delightful Sphinxes, this one is in terrific shape, and i'm pleased that as i looked the machine over, it was once a workhorse for someone. The base of the machine is worn and pitted from use, and i Like that. I want to know that years past another woman (or possibly a man) used this tool(be it sewing or lace) and used it well.
Well....on the bobbin case cover ther is a list of patents for the machine, the one that tickles my fancy is sept. 22 1888 (well...i was born in '74, but that's my birthday!) and according to this site http://www.ismacs.net/Singer/singerdates.html
my machine is Definately pre-1900 as there are no letters in it's serial number.
Hmmm, shouldn't refer to it as an It now,that seems rude. We'll call her Judith. My traditional wheel is now called Madeline, and the Traveller is Myra.
So there we have it(oooh, i need to visit with the featherweight again and see what she's named?!)
I must admit, i paid relativaly little for this machine, considering the condition. The couple that sold her to me inherited it some 26 years ago and never even pushed on the treadle to see if it moved! So she comes with a one family history (having been his mothers and grandmothers)
http://www.ismacs.net/home.html
the link above is where i just spent the last 30 or so minutes, looking around at all sorts of interesting things about antique sewing machines.
I think i will be happy with the machines i have, one from the late 1800s, one from the 30s and one from either the 50s or 60s(it has a cabinet and is currently in storage, otherwise i would know the date:-) All of them are singers.
(just wait, in a few years i will decide i NEED a modern machine with bells and whistles. golly, i hope not! I'm still wanting a Kromski spinning wheel, and after that i'll be back to my looking for antique lace bobbins.
Okay, this was a super long post, so toodles
love to all,
jenn

No comments:

LibraryThing