Tuesday, July 10, 2007

A suprise :-)

When i checked the mail today i found a lovely suprise. My friend in Seattle, Gail, sent me a letter. It was a little bit bulky for a letter, and when i opened it up i found this Gorgeous antique doily. (i'll wash it and iron it flat later on...but for now, pictures!!!)
Here is all of the doily i could fit on the scanner...
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
I believe it is chemical lace, but for sure, it is a manufactured lace, however, this is the finest manufactured lace i have in my collection. It looks like they were trying to imitate figural handmade lace, possibly needlelace. (i think needlelace as i have seen some Glorious figural pieces from several hundred years ago, and this reminds me of them, especially the mermaids)
My lace identification and history books are all in storage at the moment, but when we are reunited...i will try to pin down wether this is indeed chemical lace.(Or, transversly, i could bring it along to the next Lace Makers Of Puget Sound meeting....lots of experts there:-)

A closer look at the design...
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

To make the day even brighter, my assessment of my sample poppy was Very positive, and i've the green light to carry on with the next piece. I will start writing down the length of time i sit and work on a piece to give you all a better idea of what Honiton lace is about.

love jen

No comments:

LibraryThing